Trip of a Lifetime

This blog is about our trip to Alaska, the Trip of a Lifetime. We have long spoken about such a trip but the timing or the finances were never right. When Tom's father passed away and left a sum of money we were left with the decision of what to use it for that would honor his memory. Certainly not a piece of furniture or home repair. Those things pass out of service and are left curb-side. We wanted a memory that would be with us forever.







And so idea of a trip to Alaska was formed! On a visit to the AAA office in Appleton, I inquired about such trips, explaining that we just were not a "dinner and dancing with the Captain" sort of couple. Existing on a ship that could pass for a small city along with several thousand other passengers, and dressing formally for dinner just did not hold appeal. The brochures from a company named Cruise West caught our eye. As Goldilocks said, this one was "just right!"



My intention was to maintain this blog as we continued on our travels. I failed to take into account the fact that most of the areas we were in had no internet connections available (also no TV or phone!) ... so the remainder of the blog will be an "after the fact" accounting. I hope you enjoy it!

PHOTOGRAPHS WILL BE ADDED AS SOON AS I GET THEM LOADED AND EDITED...............









Monday, August 30, 2010

DIB excursion

After a lunch involving an "Inside Passage Burger" which was stuffed with brie cheese and spicy scallion paste, with tiramisu for dessert, I made a DIB excursion with my camera.  The DIB is an inflatable boat and we had the choice of going out with the photographer on board or the naturalist.  There were so many of us who wanted the photography option that Tom graciously volunteered for the other.  We were grouped according to name of different species; I was one of the Brown Bears and Tom was... a puffin!  He made the most of it, though, and apparently created a little Puffin greeting. Later it morphed into  "we are the Puffins! mighty, mighty puffins!" and surprisingly, another cruise-mate recognized the old high school cheer and joined in. Not surprisingly, however, we received some odd looks.

This cruise was billed as a photography cruise, and there was supposed to be a Pentax representative on board to give seminars and allow us to use his equipment.  I'm not sure what happened to that, but we have a young photographer and his wife.  No Pentax and no equipment to use, but he is giving us pointers.  I think I was at the pre-dummy level! He had to show me how to set the ISO!  There are some very serious photographers here with monster lenses. And then there is me.  Miss Auto Focus.  Actually, moving away from the "green zone"(auto focus) and venturing into "S" and "A" settings were the challenge.  It was a big revelation to me and I got some cool pictures! 

We weren't out long.  We went to a waterfall and along the rock wall, and to a floating piece of ice. I'm not sure what qualifies as an iceberg.  It doesn't seem to have a size requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment