Trip of a Lifetime

This blog is about our trip to Alaska, the Trip of a Lifetime. We have long spoken about such a trip but the timing or the finances were never right. When Tom's father passed away and left a sum of money we were left with the decision of what to use it for that would honor his memory. Certainly not a piece of furniture or home repair. Those things pass out of service and are left curb-side. We wanted a memory that would be with us forever.







And so idea of a trip to Alaska was formed! On a visit to the AAA office in Appleton, I inquired about such trips, explaining that we just were not a "dinner and dancing with the Captain" sort of couple. Existing on a ship that could pass for a small city along with several thousand other passengers, and dressing formally for dinner just did not hold appeal. The brochures from a company named Cruise West caught our eye. As Goldilocks said, this one was "just right!"



My intention was to maintain this blog as we continued on our travels. I failed to take into account the fact that most of the areas we were in had no internet connections available (also no TV or phone!) ... so the remainder of the blog will be an "after the fact" accounting. I hope you enjoy it!

PHOTOGRAPHS WILL BE ADDED AS SOON AS I GET THEM LOADED AND EDITED...............









Tuesday, August 3, 2010

4 days to lift-off

I love lists.  I make them. I add to them. I lose them and start over.  This trip requires an extensive list.  Once again, I am grateful for the packing suggestions provided by the cruise company. I stopped at the AAA office today to speak with our travel agent, Debbie Ruplinger, and obtain a copy of the itinerary with all the side trips we requested. Tom assures me we will be able to launder our clothing at week's end; he had better be right! 

 Just in case anyone who follows may be interested I plan to keep a list of what I packed, what I wish I would have included and what things were found to be unnecessary. I've already revised my suitcase plans after I found one to weigh 15 lbs empty and another 19 lbs! Doesn't leave much for my clothes and such after that!  One possibility is a gear bag I had purchased for my USAR trips. Not as much protection from over-zealous baggage handlers but it weighs significantly less, so I will lay out my things and see if weight or protection wins out.

Tomorrow I intend to make my last pre-trip purchases, picking up money orders, confirming my cell phone/internet coverage and potential charges with my service provider, and checking my electronics to make sure batteries are charged or replaced.

1 comment:

  1. Updates? -Have you both fallen overboard, swallowed by a whale, and mysteriously found yourselves in Dutch Harbor? Enquiring minds want to know.. = )
    Hope your having a blast! Have fun!
    -C & Family

    ReplyDelete