Trip of a Lifetime

This blog is about our trip to Alaska, the Trip of a Lifetime. We have long spoken about such a trip but the timing or the finances were never right. When Tom's father passed away and left a sum of money we were left with the decision of what to use it for that would honor his memory. Certainly not a piece of furniture or home repair. Those things pass out of service and are left curb-side. We wanted a memory that would be with us forever.







And so idea of a trip to Alaska was formed! On a visit to the AAA office in Appleton, I inquired about such trips, explaining that we just were not a "dinner and dancing with the Captain" sort of couple. Existing on a ship that could pass for a small city along with several thousand other passengers, and dressing formally for dinner just did not hold appeal. The brochures from a company named Cruise West caught our eye. As Goldilocks said, this one was "just right!"



My intention was to maintain this blog as we continued on our travels. I failed to take into account the fact that most of the areas we were in had no internet connections available (also no TV or phone!) ... so the remainder of the blog will be an "after the fact" accounting. I hope you enjoy it!

PHOTOGRAPHS WILL BE ADDED AS SOON AS I GET THEM LOADED AND EDITED...............









Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rainy Day for a DIB, August 23

We actually discovered we were a day ahead!  I thought we had to pack tonight but found a day reprieve! Today is raining and overcast.  The clouds look like steam rising from the mountains.  I saw more mudslide scars and am recognizing them in the landscape, a trail of light green in the dark around it.

We had another DIB op today.  The "D" stands for the inventor's name and the rest is "inflatable boat".  I referred to them as zodiacs, but I believe that is the name of a particular type, as well. Many people canceled from the earlier list due to the weather.  Tom and I had appropriate rain gear, so it was no problem.  The water was choppy but that was fun! You know, I had purchased dramamine for this trip, unsure if I would have a problem on the water but I never needed it.  In fact, I rather enjoyed it when I felt a little chop! 

The group before us saw a brown bear and Tom's group also saw a brown bear and a sea otter.  We only saw eagles.  It was raining and there was spray, in addition to the instability of the platform, so taking photographs was difficult. I put a baggie around my camera but by the end the lens was too fogged. It was fun, just for the scenery. One group said their guide picked up a starfish and it was eating a mussel! I saw a starfish (red) yesterday when we were kayaking and I wish I could have gotten closer for a photo, but we hurried past.  Tom's little Nikon coolpix has been very handy on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment